Instructions for Firearms Applicants
Application for Initial Firearms Purchaser ID Card (and permit to purchase a handgun if desired)
1) The process is now completed at https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
2) The ORI number for Hopatcong residents is NJ0191200
3) Enter your official name only; no simplified versions are permitted (ex. Joseph vs Joe)
4) Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references
(Please note that typically, the most common reason for a delay in receiving your permits is that the references do not respond in a timely manner. Give thought to whom you choose, and double-check their email address as this will be the method by which they are contacted.)
5) After all required information is entered; a review page appears where the applicant can make any necessary corrections prior to final submission. Please not that no information will be saved prior to submission
6) At the end of the process, you must print copies of the confirmation page and fingerprint form
7) Fingerprint appointments can be scheduled at: http://uenroll.indentogo.com The service code for firearms licensing is 2F164B. Your application will be closed if fingerprint results are not received within 90 days of application submission.
8) Before your application can be processed, initial applicants must visit the records department at police headquarters to provide the following items:
-Birth Certificate -OR- Passport -OR- naturalization papers/alien registration information
-Proof of town residence (Example: New Jersey driver’s license, utility bill, or mail from a government agency)
-Cash, check, or certified money order made payable to the Hopatcong Borough Police Department in the amount of $50 for a firearms ID card, and $25 for each handgun permit
-The copy of your confirmation (see #6)
9) You will receive automatic email updates as your application status changes. Once it receives final approval, your handgun permits and/or FID card will be available online through the F.A.R.S. system where they can be accessed by your firearms dealer.
If you have any questions during the process, please call Debbie at (973) 398-5000, Mon-Fri 9a-4p
Application for replacement/Change of address FID card OR subsequent handgun permits
***All applicants in this category must have been previously fingerprinted, and already possess a NJ firearms ID card with an assigned SBI number. You will need to enter your SBI number during the application process. If you do not have an SBI number, you must apply as an initial applicant***
1) Go to https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS and enter the ORI number NJ0191200 to continue
2) You will then be prompted to enter your SBI number
3) The remainder of the process is the same as an inital applicant with the following exceptions:
-After your application is submitted, you are not required to schedule fingerprinting. Instead, you will be forwarded to the Criminal History Record Request online form 212A
-Once you have entered all required information on the 212A you will be able to pay for the background check by credit card. Please print your confirmation. For problems or questions regarding the 212A procedure, please contact SBI at (609) 882-200 x2918
4) Before your application can be processed, you must visit police records and make payment of $25 for each handgun permit (cash, check or certified money order made payable to Hopatcong Borough Police Department)
5) You will receive automatic email updates as your application status changes. Once it receives final approval, your handgun permits and/or duplicate FID card will be available online through the F.A.R.S. system where they can be accessed by your firearms dealer.
Application for permit to carry a handgun
Applications for permit to carry a handgun are not accepted through F.A.R.S. at this time. Please utilize the instructions provided by the New Jersey State Police. Instructions and a printable application can be found at https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml under the Permit to Carry section.